Saturday, May 27, 2006

Librano Business as Usual

The re-birth of the LPC appears to be taking a tried and true course, one which follows a path on the very fringe of the law and resides in the shadows of ethical conduct.

CTV news has all the details here. It seems that Mr. Volpe and his handlers have no problem skirting leadership financing laws to replenish the coffers of the ailing LPC. Mr. Volpe would have us believe that a half a dozen children of two drug company executives each donated the maximum amount ($5400.00) to his leadership campaign.

A spokesman for the drug company in question, Apotex Inc., noted that four of the six children of Apotex executives Jack Kay and Barry Sherman are teenagers. One is left to wonder if the other two children are adults or are in fact pre-teens. Regardless of the relative age of the Apotex offspring, one is left to wonder in amazement at the collective political involvement and financial liquidity of this group of teens.

In true LPC form the executive of the party see nothing unusual about these donations and offer these observations.

Volpe campaign spokesman Corey Hobbs said "all donations are in full compliance with the Canada Elections Act and with Liberal party guidelines."

Similarly, Steven MacKinnon, the Liberal party's national director, said he saw "nothing particularly untoward" about the donations.

"On the surface, there's certainly nothing illegal at all."

So to summarize the LPC executive see "nothing untoward", "nothing illegal" and find these donations to be "in full compliance with the Canada Elections Act and with Liberal Party Guidelines".

Business as usual eh!!

On the other hand, I may have this all wrong. As a supporter of the CPC and the father of two teenagers I may have failed miserably in fostering a sense of civics in my children. My two oldest work with me from time to time, weekends, spring break and portions of their summer holidays. Payday is greeted with much enthusiasm and is promptly followed by trips to the nearest mall to purchase an X-Box 360, games for the same, a new mountain bike, guitar strings, hoodies emblazoned with their favorite bands, a new I-pod and any other number of teen consumer goods.

To the best of my knowledge they have not donated $5 to a political party let alone $5400. I guess in the eyes of the LPC executive this would seem to indicate an abject failure on my part to properly develop a sense of "Canadian Values"TM in my children.

Ahhh to hell with it!!! Pass the Game Boy!!

Syncro

Update:

I've been following the MSM coverage of this story. As it stands CTV ran the story on the second tier of their website but nothing on the national telecast, as of Sunday a.m. the story is off the news cycle.

Global ran the story on the scrolling banner of their website but once again nothing on the national telecast.

The CBC. What story??

But hey...... Harper really is being paranoid about this perceived media bias. How do I know?? I went for a walk this morning and ran into my homeless Liberal friend (I'll call him Jean). Jean is a former Liberal insider who has been down on his luck for the last few years. We had a chat about the Liberal leadership race and he offered me this insight into the revitalization plans of the LPC.

Said Jean;

"The LPC guidelines include a brilliant strategy to invigorate the party by recruiting hundreds of thousands of teens with $5400 each thereby wiping out the party debt and bringing a youthful exuberance to policy discussions!!"

I stand corrected. No wonder the CBC didn't pick this story up as Jean assured me they are working on a "feel good" documentary about the myriad of politically astute teens lining up to donate $5400 each to the LPC. The real story here is the youthful renaissance of the LPC and apparently Joe Volpe is winning the hearts and wallets of the nations teens. I feel so much better.

Please disregard my previous paranoid conservative comments.

Syncro

No comments: